Recipes with Yogusto
Smashed Cucumbers and Radishes in Yogurt Sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces Persian cucumbers
- 4 ounces red radishes, trimmed
Combine garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl and let sit 5 minutes.
Whisk yogurt, oil, and sugar in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in garlic mixture.
Using a rolling pin, meat mallet, or the flat side of a chef’s knife, lightly whack cucumbers and radishes so they begin to split apart (but not so forcefully that you smash them to smithereens). Tear cucumbers and radishes into bite-size pieces with your hands and fold into yogurt mixture. Season salad with more salt and lots and lots of pepper.
Transfer salad to an airtight container; cover and chill at least 2 hours. Shake to combine before serving.
Greek Style Cucumber and Yogurt Dip with dill
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 English hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, grated
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 pita breads, cut horizontally in half, then cut into wedges
Line sieve with cheesecloth and place over medium bowl. Place yogurt in sieve. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to drain in refrigerator overnight.
Mix cucumber and 1 tablespoon salt in small bowl; cover and chill 3 hours.
Transfer drained yogurt to another bowl. Mix in sour cream, lemon juice, dill and garlic. Squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible from cucumber. Stir cucumber into yogurt. Season with pepper. Cover; chill at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Preheat oven to 400°F. Place pita wedges on baking sheets. Brush with olive oil. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store pita airtight at room temperature.) Serve cucumber dip with baked pita wedges.